Welcome to the website of the Hangleton and Knoll Project.
We are a Community Development charity based in the Hangleton and Knoll ward of Brighton and Hove in South East England. A part of the community since 1983 we are a project working for the community with the community and managed by the community.
Right from the start local residents have shaped and developed the project to become what it is today; a model of good practice for how a community is able to develop and manage it's own resources.
This website provides an overview of the Project's aims, our history, some examples of our current activities in the community and contact details should you wish to get in touch with us.
The Hangleton and Knoll send out a regular E Newsletter, "HKP’s What’s on in Hangleton & Knoll", keeping people informed of HKP Service Updates, Events, Activities, Courses and Classes. If you would like to stay informed please subscribe to HKP’s E Newsletter here
HKP have now launched their new Community Learning Membership, this membership is free until July 2020. To become a member please download and complete the membership form and email to firstname.lastname@example.org
COVID-19 and Services Update
For up-to-date information, please contact the following :
Computers and IT support
Contact David Purkiss (IT Tutor).
E: email@example.com, T: 07422665761 (call, email or text for a call back)
Routes Employment Project
Contact Claire Hines.
E: firstname.lastname@example.org, T: 07422692831
E: email@example.com, T: 07702 392 339
E: firstname.lastname@example.org, T: 07801 537 999
The youth team is also on Facebook
Contact Claire Johnson
E: email@example.com or call T: 01273 410858
Claire is also on Facebook
- 11th October 2020 : NHS England funded a test the concept project to see what the impact might be of working with community volunteers to deliver Public Health messages on cancer screening and testing. Our report is here
- 16th June 2020 : HKP Emergency food hub: In these challenging times, with the help of some amazing Community Volunteers and in Partnership with The Brighton and Hove Food Partnership as well as Brighton and Hove City Council, St Richards have been hosting and emergency food hub. Read the article here.
- 18th May 2020 : We have produced a COVID-19 Community Support newsletter with information and contact details for available community, citywide, and national support available at this time.
- 24th April 2020 : Young people working with our Youth Team create the Lockdown Lowdown eZine, about their experiences during the coronavirus lockdown, and share some coping strategies.
- 12th March 2020 : We are currently recruiting for a Youth Coach position at the Hangleton & Knoll Project. The application pack is available for download on the jobs page of the site, or by email from firstname.lastname@example.org. All completed applications by email to: email@example.com. Please note that we are unable to accept CVs
- 29th February 2020 : The story of the West Area Health Forum, set up by The Hangleton and Knoll Project to bring together all people involved in health within our community. The Forum brings together Primary Care, community organisations, the statutory sector and the voluntary sector in a space that is safe, constructive and focussed on the local assets in the community. Agendas are shaped by local citizens and feedback from local residents and community groups, and include talks from local providers and GP Surgery representatives. The Forum’s discussions frequently result in collaborative projects to address identified health inequalities or potential service improvements. This animation was funded by NHS England and NHS Improvement’s Sharing and Celebrating Patient and Public Involvement in Healthcare community grant.
- 29th February 2020 : A collaborative project between Benfield Valley Healthcare Hub and The Hangleton and Knoll Project, to support local residents within Hangleton and Knoll to access free period products to help alleviate period poverty. This animation was funded by NHS England and NHS Improvement’s Sharing and Celebrating Patient and Public Involvement in Healthcare community grant.
- 29th February 2020 : How the patients at Benfield Valley Healthcare Hub (who are also Health Champions of the West Area Health Forum) helped to update the GP Surgery's website to make it easier for patients to find the information they needed. This animation was funded by NHS England and NHS Improvement’s Sharing and Celebrating Patient and Public Involvement in Healthcare community grant.
- 3rd November 2019 : West Area Health Forum will be held on 20th November 10am - 12 midday. Open to patients of all our local GP surgeries.
- 13th October 2019 : We have published a Community Information Booklet with all kinds of useful information on services, groups and activities in the Hangleton and Knoll area.
- 5th July 2019 : ‘Your Life’ was a successful pilot we ran to support older people on retirement to think about their choices, this will now run as an annual course as part of the Ageing Well funded programme
- 22nd November 2018 : See the 2018 Report of Public Health on Arts and Wellbeing citing HKP work as a model of good practice available to download here
- 31st October 2018 : HKP 5 Year Strategic Plan 2018 to 2023 is now available to download
- 31st October 2018 : Hosted by Hangleton and Knoll Community Action, Hangleton and Knoll are now a designated neighbourhood area with Brighton and Hove City Council. For more information the Neighbourhood Action Plan is available to download here
- 1st August 2018 : Our Aug/Sep newletter is now available for download Read all about our awesome new Youth Bus!
- 25th July 2018 : Our new HaKIT flier has everything you need to know about all the FREE computer drop-ins and low cost courses we're running in the coming months
- 25th July 2018 : The achievements of the Brighton and Hove Youth Collective are celebrated in this publication
- 18th April 2018 : Are you 50 plus and looking for something to do in Hangleton and Knoll? Here is the revised leaflet of local groups and services.
- 4th March 2018 : Hangleton & Knoll Project publish their Annual Report for the year ended 31 March 2017
- 21st January 2018 : Helen Bartlett HKP Youthworker contributed to a chapter on community youth work based on experience of successful delivery in Hangleton and Knoll. More details on the University of Brighton blog.
- 6th November 2017 : BH Food Partnership came and gave a talk at October Health Forum on eating well as you age. Here is the booklet they have produced as a guide
- 18th August 2017 : We've produced our HaKIT annual report of work delivered over the last year
- 4th May 2017 : If you're interested in volunteering in Hangleton & Knoll community, the newsletter also contains details of a number of opportunities currently available in the area.
- 13th April 2017 : Building a community from the bottom up requires time but the community development approach brings long term and sustainable benefits. This report details the impact of work with and for our local Black and Minority ethnic community
- 9th April 2017 : Community Development team have published their Older People's Community Development Work End of Year Report 2016-17 for download.
- 26th February 2017 : #Protectyouthservices HKP need your help, we are crowdfunding! Please donate and share, every £5 makes a difference and will all go to maintaining our Youthwork Programme here in Hangleton and Knoll
- 23rd November 2016 : This 3 minute film is made by local young men who chose to highlight the impact of youthwork on bullying for them
- 23rd November 2016 : This 10 minute film was first shown at the AGM on 16th November 2016 and showcases the impact of HKPs work on the local community
- 10th September 2016 : Hangleton and Knoll Older Peoples Information day in partnership with HK 50+ and Older Peoples Day will take place at St Richards, Egmont Road, 1pm-4pm on 3rd October. Find out from over 40 services and groups what's available in the City and locally for anyone over 50. Everybody welcome, free drinks and low cost refreshments.
- 10th September 2016 : Hangleton and Knoll Health Forum: 10am-12pm 7th September at St. Richards, Egmont Rd. For anyone living in HK with an interest in improving health services and for all patients of Hove Medical Centre, Links Road and Benfield Valley Health Care Hub. Tea and biscuits served from 9.30
- 4th July 2016 : We've published a document detailing our 50+ communiity development work delivered over the last year
- 4th July 2016 : We've produced our HaKIT annual report of work delivered over the last year
- 24th March 2016 : The Hangleton and Knoll Project were delighted to have been honoured by the High Sheriff of Sussex for their work in the community at a special service at St Margaret's Church Ditchling. HKP Vice Chair Raminder Gill and Joanna Martindale HKP CEO collected the award and cheque on 17th March 2016.
- 21st March 2016 : Our Community Development workers have produced a directory of local community groups with information obout what they each do, as well as contact information in case you would like to get involved
- 10th March 2016 : Over February 2016 HKP staff and volunteers undertook a questionnaire with patients of Hangleton Manor to try to ascertain the impact of the surgery potential closure. This report was produced. This local report fed into this City report pulled together by our partners CommunityWorks which detailed the results of similar exercises across other Practice PLC surgeries.
- 1st December 2015 : The Fairness Commission has been set up to hear residents stories about what works and doesn't work in the City for them. Please download their form for more details
- 7th August 2015 : A Hangleton and Knoll Health Forum meeting wil be held on Wednesday 16th September, between 10-12 at St Richard's Church. For full details see poster
- 7th August 2015 : The community insight data for the Knoll estate provides a set of reports showing key social and economic indicators for that area compared to national averages.
- 23rd June 2015 : We are delighted and proud to announce that HKP Chair Pat Weller received the MBE in the Queens Birthday Honours in recognition of over 35 years of volunteer service in her community.
- 21st June 2015 : We're proud to pupblish a refreshed version of the Hangleton & Knoll project's 5 year Strategic Plan, providing a detailed description of the aims and ambitions of the Project in the coming years.
- 22nd April 2015 : Hangleton and Knoll Health Forum 10-12 at St Richards on 20th May. Please see poster for more details but this is your chance to meet with local Practise Managers to improve local GP surgeries. Have something to say but cant attend? Please complete this report form and email to Clare Hopkins or drop it into Hangleton or St Richards Community Centres
- 7th April 2015 : Find out more about our Hangleton & Knoll Project Youth Team, as published in the most recent Knoll Scroll and Harbinger
- 29th January 2015 : Hangleton and Knoll Health Forum Wednesday 11th February 10-12 at St Richards. Click this link for more details.
- 23rd November 2014 : BBC Children in Need filmed HK youthwork showcasing health impact on young women in our community.
- 5th November 2013 : The Hangleton & Knoll Project's youth work team publish a video "Young Women's Fashion Project" showcasing the work of the Hangleton & Knoll Young Women's Group around fashion and positive body image.
- 5th August 2013 : The Hangleton & Knoll Youth Manifesto website has now been launched! This initiative, supported by the Hangleton & Knoll Project provides information and a forum for young people to have their say on issues that concern them.
- 23rd April 2013 : Good Food project recipe book available as free download!
- 31st January 2013 : The Mayor of Brighton and Hove held a celebratory event at Brighton Town Hall to congratulate the Hangleton & Knoll project on receiving a national Big Society Award from the government.
- 31st January 2013 : Evaluation of partnership project with Amaze and parent carers in Hangleton & Knoll
- 2nd December 2012 : In reaction to the Hangleton & Knoll Project's recent "Big Society" Award ITV Meridien News runs an article showcasing some of the work
- 9th October 2012 : Hangleton and Knoll Project wins National recognition with a Big Society award.
- 26th June 2012 : Youth group 100 Felt tips explain in their own words how they managed to achieve an astro turf court in Knoll Park
- 26th June 2012 : Hangleton and Knoll Multicultural Women's group talk about the community development support they get from Hangleton and Knoll Project
- 4th April 2012 : A report of notable achievements of our youth work team over the last 12 months is now available for download.